Ending your lease
How do I end my lease?
If you’re ready to move on, you need to provide written notice of your intention to vacate the property. Keep in mind, a minimum of 28 days notice is required if your lease has expired. You can do this easily via our client portal or you can email or write to us at: RPM Property Management, Level 5, 52 York St, South Melbourne VIC 3205. Please don’t break up over text (SMS not acceptable).
How do I calculate how much rent I owe?
We will do this for you, but as a guide, in the last month of your tenancy your rent will be calculated on a daily rate.
What do I need to do when moving out?
Use our handy vacating checklist:
- Notify us and Australia Post of your new forwarding address
- Arrange disconnection of your telephone, electricity and gas
- Return all keys to our office
- Leave out a receipt for steam cleaning of carpets
- Leave the property clean and tidy
What do I need to clean?
- Wipe down all cupboards, shelves, drawers and benches
- Clean any marks off walls and doors
- Scrub floor grouting and tiles
- Ensure stove, griller, oven and exhaust fans are dirt and grease free
- Wipe down all light switches, power points & skirting boards to be free of dust/dirt
- Clean windows, sills and tracks
- Wipe down flyscreens and security screens where possible
- Clean light fittings/covers and remove any dead bugs/cobwebs
- Wash curtains and venetian/vertical blinds
- Remove all garbage, bottles and rubbish from the property
- Clean out the garage or storeroom, remove cobwebs and grease marks from car space/garage
- Clean bathrooms ensuring all mould and soap scum is removed from tiles, grouting and screens. Remove any ceiling mould, mop floors, clean exhaust fans and mirrors and wash shower curtain
- Toilets to be cleaned inside and out
- Clean laundry tub
- Mow lawns, trim edges and weed garden beds
- Put the rubbish/recycle bins out before you leave the property
A final inspection of the property is carried out by our team within 48 hours of receiving your keys.
How do I get my bond back?
After we’ve completed the final inspection, we will notify the bond Residential Tenancy Authority and request they contact you for bank details so the refund can be made directly into your account.
If we need to send in a professional cleaner or rectify damage to the property, any associated costs may be deducted from your bond refund.
My fixed lease period has not yet expired, can I still move out?
Yes, you can. However, you will be ‘breaking’ your lease agreement and like any contract, there are costs involved. They are:
- Paying rent until another tenant moves in
- Paying a pro rata letting fee, the landlord pays us a fee to manage the leasing of the property, if you break the lease you are required to reimburse the landlord a portion of the fee
- Advertising costs, usually a one-off fee for advertising the property
My housemate wants to move out, can someone new move in?
Yes. However, the new tenant will be subject to the landlord’s approval. They will need to fill out an application form and go through the same process you did when first applying. There are some costs associated in doing so, largely to perform background checks on the new tenant and preparing the necessary lease agreement and paperwork.